Translate

"TO KNOW THE TRUTH, YOU HAVE TO FIND THE TRUTH, ONLY THERE DOES THE TRUTH LIE."

Wednesday 25 January 2023

FLYING NORTH FOR CHRISTMAS! WILL I MAKE MY FLIGHT?

JUST ONE WEEK TO GET TO ALGIERS; COULD I GET THERE IN TIME FOR MY FLIGHT? Post No.45 (A 7 minute read) 

beautiful, beloved sahara desert this photo by azzedine rouichi on unsplash
FAREWELL BEAUTIFUL SAHARA; I WILL RETURN! Photo by Azzedine Rouichi on Unsplash.

There really is nothing like having a deadline for any number of things to go wrong and ramp up your stress levels, is there? That is just how it turned out for this female INFJ who fortunately for her, does not have taboos! I read through this chapter last night again and yes, I felt it all anew, I did. It was raining steadily here where I am, it was bitterly cold yesterday night. It brought it all back to me so vividly.

I wrote in retrospect too of an exchange of words with a neighbour who actually had me put aside my writing. I had met my African friend and that is why I was not writing. It was when he left in the November, that I picked up my pen again and went in search of earrings!!

So, by the end of chapter forty-two, I had found myself at last, back in Algiers. But having missed my flight by some hours! I had been able to re-schedule but still had to resolve a rather worrying issue. I had had some of my possessions stolen down in Tamanrasset as I write in this chapter. Oh, how sad that made me, how sad.

Of the greater importance was the loss of my foreign bank notes which had been declared on arrival in Algiers and not stamped as exchanged in banks. The Declaration de Devises, it was called and this needed handing in for approval before departure from the airport. It was worrying the hell out of me. Seek and you shall find! I quote you from chapter forty-three titled, FLYING NORTH FOR CHRISTMAS:

I was chatting to those on my table, they seemed fairly regular folk and so I mentioned the money declaration issue! They went very quiet and urged me to keep my voice down. They are consummate hair-splitter´s in these parts, as I had found out before in Morocco! But I had not done wrong in taking a chance! Word passed around! Some went out and came back in!

I was actually getting worried that this was an ominous sign. Two gendarmes came in and walked to our table and introduced themselves. I explained my situation and left them willing to believe me! Not that that in itself was going to be enough!

A plan was hatched! Oh, my goodness! This was the plan! These two were on duty in the airport tomorrow afternoon which was when my flight was due to leave. There was a real `stickler´at the passport desk, HE was our principle concern! I did need to show my passport and get it stamped but I also had to show this blasted declaration, the remaining monies (or receipts from exchanging them elsewhere) and have that stamped OK too!

"Well", I said. "What I need is a timely distraction, is it not? So that HE stamps the paper without looking at it!" "NO, HE goes over them with a magnifying glass!" was the reply. We all felt that distraction was the only chance, but how? They had to get off for their shift and we arranged to meet for lunch the next day.

We would keep thinking on it! Of course, it did occur to me that they might not turn up! So I had an uneasy night´s sleep! I could see our Dachshunds sat on the back of the settee, tails high as I came up the driveway. I could hear their excited barking. I could hear my mother´s voice asking if I had any dirty washing to put in the load. I kept picturing the `stickler´in the airport and being led away in handcuffs! End of quote.

The fact that I am here today writing speaks for itself. I had a flight to Paris and was on stand-by to London. My new friends were faithful. They did come and accompany me to the airport. The `stickler´ was there. But the perfect distraction came of its own accord, divine providence, real human will to help being what it is, I got through with my passport stamped and the `stickler´ did not even look at the declaration form!!

I had a long wait in Paris before finding a seat free for London. I was physically and emotionally done in now. The culture shock is so dramatic when you have been so very far away for a long time. I shall give you a taste of that culture shock in this quote from my first book ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN, chapter forty-three:

Not for the first time, I found myself on the first train out to Norwich of the day! Now sat comfortably on an eastbound train, an Indian twang in the announcer´s voice welcoming me on board this service, which will be calling at these stations and terminating in Norwich Thorpe Station. Almost there, I was going to be home for Christmas!

Very rarely have I slept on that journey headed either way. This run was strange though, my visions were overlapping. What I was really seeing in front of me and what my inner eye was seeing, both outside of the windows and in. The English winter for me is so beautiful. The bare branches with thick, green lichen growing all over them in large clumps!

Thick, long, lush green grass and foggy skies suddenly became my Wodaabe ladies and the lush green of the Ivory Coast. Our laughter as we splashed in the Falls of Banfora and swam in the Atlantic Ocean. I looked at my bracelets, felt my necklace, my earrings. Yes, just like Mr. Benn, it did really happen. There was a truly wonderous world out there and it is my wish to return to the African continent many more times, should peace and money make that possible. End of quote.

Somehow, my Dad was on the platform. "Get held up down Sahara way?" he asked. "They can be darned unreliable those camels, can they not?" How I loved my Dad! Easing me back into beautiful HOBBITON, as I now think of my country village of birth. Long walks over the frosty fields with our dogs and beautiful food and decorations, my birthday too and new year.

I had to get back to Spain though and get the cash flow going again, so, after my 23rd birthday and the new year had gone by, I flew back to Spain to pick up where I had left off. And start planning the next trip.

I had changed though and needed to move on which I did. A change is as good as a rest, is it not? This was a positive change of place and I was enjoying myself again. But it was a day spent wandering around Gibraltar, that saw a complete change of direction in my travel plans. And I will share more of that with you in the next post, on chapter forty-four, PARADISE ON EARTH.

Do you know culture shock? Do you find that you want to go back to the other culture? Do you see the positives of every culture that you experience? Does travel help you to see your own peoples differently?

So, I hope that you can join me for that. Thank you so much for reading. I have many viewers, I do not actually know that you are readers as I have had no comments from any of you! Please do FEEL welcome to comment or make communication by e-mail (contact box, top right). Why not click the follow button and keep up to date? (right-hand panel)

Until then, lift those taboos from your mind and start really thinking! My book is available on Amazon: ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN Paperback and ON THE OUTSIDE LOOKING IN e-book

For more INFJ reading, here is a listing: https://lifestyle.feedspot.com/infj_blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there reader, what do you think? I would love to hear your thoughts on my trains of thought. GO AHEAD! Air those thoughts too! I have no taboos!